Following a dispute at work, you may have to deal with unfavorable circumstances. Knowing that you are at loggerheads with your employer is never a good situation, especially when there is workplace discrimination involved. In these circumstances, you need a White Plains employment lawyer who can be your trusted guide through the whole process of discovering legal options. In this post, we have a few pointers on what it takes to compare lawyers to find the best one for your case.
- Consider the lawyer’s work. Does the lawyer specialize in employment law in NY? Are they locally based in White Plains? Is this their prime area of practice? These are a few questions that you must look for answers to before choosing someone.
- Discuss their work area. From wage disputes and sexual harassment to racial discrimination and severance package negotiations, employment lawyers deal with diverse cases from time to time. When you look for legal counsel, choose a law firm that has experience handling similar legal matters.
- Find out about the lawyer’s fee. While the cost of hiring an employment law attorney shouldn’t be the first criterion for comparison, you should know whether you can afford someone. Ask the attorney whether they would charge an hourly rate and what you need to pay to retain them. Many lawyers may take a contingency fee for some cases.
- Check the reviews. If you don’t have references for employment lawyers, you can always look online on websites like Nolo. Make sure you also check independent reviews on Google and other search engines. The eventual goal is to choose an attorney who doesn’t have too many negative assessments from different clients.
- Check availability. As a client who is dealing with something as serious as workplace discrimination or job termination, you shouldn’t have to chase an employment lawyer. Ask potential lawyers about their current caseload and whether they have the scope and time to work on your legal matter.
- Communication is paramount. The initial response of a law firm says a lot about its attitude. A good lawyer will ensure you have direct means to contact them. When you meet an employment lawyer, discuss how you can get updates or ask questions and whether they have a team to take care of your concerns.
Finally, you need to feel comfortable talking to the lawyer. A competent lawyer will give you the confidence to take your case forward, for which they will provide information you need.
Leave a Reply